Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy [PC Version]

(No screenshots this time, sorry!)

Where it all began for David Cage and Quantic Dream

A while ago I had the good fortune of playing Detroit: Become Human. It was the kind of game I had always wanted to play. A choose-your-own-adventure which wasn’t completely text-based; a narrative heavy game where I could make meaningful choices and watch them impact the story; plus some quick-time events. Nothing too heavily skill based, just make a choice and watch the story play out. Sadly, though, it didn’t perform very well on my rig, so I didn’t think it was fair to write about it because my experience was greatly marred by lags and stutters.

As for Fahrenheit, I had my eyes on it since the days of the PlayStation 2. It worked on the same principle as Detroit – that of choices and actions having a Butterfly Effect. It had quite an interesting premise too: you find yourself at a murder site, sitting over the corpse with a bloody knife in your hand. It is quite apparent that you are the murderer but you don’t have any memory of committing the crime. Shape the narrative by acting quickly and deciding wisely to uncover the mystery behind the murder. For some reason, I couldn’t find the game to play on my PS2 and it slipped out of my mind, subsequently, until I played Detroit: Become Human.

Since I wasn’t satisfied with how Detroit ran on my laptop, I searched online for similar games and stumbled upon a familiar sounding name – Fahrenheit, developed by Quantic Dream, the same studio behind Detroit. By then I had also noticed the name ‘David Cage’ and realized that he and Quantic Dream were known for such choice-based games, and Fahrenheit must have been where it all began for them.

A choice, or merely an illusion of one?

Having played Detroit, I was expecting Fahrenheit to have a fair amount of replayability, but other than a few different cutscenes here and there in my second playthrough, the story largely remained the same. It had just one main plotline, with multiple dead ends sprouting here and there. I guess that had to be expected though; Fahrenheit and Detroit are games released 13 years apart, and to expect the former to be at par with the latter is obviously unfair.

The story was engaging enough to last one playthrough. The whole mystery of the murder, and if it was really me who did it kept me hooked. It’s told through the perspective of three characters – Lucas Kane, the protagonist who committed the murder (or did he?), Carla Valenti, the officer in-charge of Lucas’s case, and her partner, Tyler Miles. Brief insights are given from time to time into the personal lives of the two secondary characters, Carla and Tyler, to make them connect to the player while the narrative progresses.

Playing as both the criminal and the detectives, I thought I could make one get an edge over the other by deliberately committing mistakes on their part, but the game isn’t meant to be played like that. It’s not a whodunnit but rather a why-did-he-do-it mixed with will-he-be-caught elements. Although it is a decision driven game, bad decisions have little impact other than ending the game as soon as you take them, leaving what happens later to your imagination. The story moves forward only as long as you make the correct choices, while some choices do not seem to have any repercussions at all.

Why throw stones in the water if you don't get to see any ripples?

For instance, there’s a situation where Lucas sees a boy drowning in a river. He also notices that the policeman who was investigating the murder scene earlier is also present near the river. The player has two choices now – save the boy, draw attention to themselves and risk being caught by the police, or leave the boy to drown and save themselves. On my first playthrough, I chose to dive in after the boy and save him. The policeman recognized me and I was caught. At the moment, I thought this was genius thinking by the game designers because in an earlier scene, right after finding myself at the murder site, I had made the choice to talk to the policeman, hoping to explain to him what had happened and thereby showing myself to him only to be recognized later. Surely if I hadn’t spoken to him, he wouldn’t have recognized me.

So on my second playthrough, I did just that. I didn’t make any contact with the policeman and fled the murder scene, but he still recognized me when I saved the boy! There was a real opportunity here to propagate the effect of a choice, but they didn’t do it and it took the fun of making different choices and watching how they affect the story right out of the game. It also brought the disappointing revelation that some choices/actions in the game were present only for the sake of interactivity and that the story didn’t branch out far enough to be considered separate from the primary plot. I later realized that after pulling the boy out of the water, I also had to make Lucas revive him following which, the policeman decides to let Lucas go.

What, then, creates tension between the choices and compels the player to make a decision? Obviously, it is to go further into the story, but it is also to keep the characters' psychological state at the optimal level. If it falls to the bottom, it is assumed that the character killed themselves and the game ends. If Lucas doesn't choose to save the boy, his psyche takes a hit and plunges down, and the game may very well end at that point.

It is, in essence, just a movie with an illusion of choice, but it is still an interactive movie in that it lets you interact with the objects in the scene – making coffee, washing your face and choosing whom to interrogate and where to investigate.

 Learning to catch one ball before juggling many

Although Fahrenheit may not have multiple branched-out narratives, it manages to present the one narrative that it has, pretty effectively. Quantic Dream must have looked to start off with a single narrative before foraying into the more complex realm of juggling multiple ones. The three main characters are fleshed out well, and their voice actors have done a great job making their dialogues sound closer to life. The scenes and environs have also been designed aptly to convey the mood of the story. Scenes with Lucas are dark and gloomy as he struggles with his psyche after the murder, with Carla we feel serious as she presses on to solve the case, and with Tyler things are a bit more on the lighter side.

There is a bit of spiciness thrown in sporadically, and it feels fine and the player just goes with it until this one bit towards the end. This particular scene (that I won't describe here) has undoubtedly been forced into the story at the last moment in order to leave room for a sequel. At least this is how it felt, it was too sudden and totally went against the personalities of the characters. A steady build-up couldn’t have done any harm, I feel, but since there wasn’t any, this particular scene ends up being cringy and tasteless.

Quick time events mean missing out on the action

The rest of the story is well-written, the suspense is good and significant facts are uncovered at the right moments to move the story along. There are a few action scenes in there as well, which have been masked as quick time events where you have to push the analog sticks in the right direction at the right time. I felt that this quick time thing did the action sequences more bad than good, because the icons telling me where to move the analog sticks pulled all the attention to themselves, hence having me miss out on what was actually going on in the scene and who was beating who. The icons themselves are designed poorly and on a bright and light background it is often not clear where the game wants you to push the sticks.

Special mention for the music which is enjoyable at times and complements the mood well. Even the songs which are not original and have been licensed from other artists are great picks. I especially liked the song ‘Santa Monica’ by Theory of a Deadman which I heard for the first time through Lucas’s music system.

Is it a game? Is it a movie? No, it's Fahrenheit!

Playing the game 16 years after its release, I tried not to judge Fahrenheit on how it looked visually. I am sure it was one of its kind back when it released, with the level of interactivity it allowed and how different it must have been from the more common action-adventure, platformer, simulation or puzzle games back then. Fahrenheit is not a game, it’s a movie, which is evident from the ‘Start Movie’ option that greets players in the main menu instead of the more conventional ‘Start Game’, and with a nice, suspenseful story it is sure to give the player a solid 8-10 hours of gameplay and fun. But due to lack of any replay value, it is only a “one-time watch”, as they say.

(Again, I apologize about no screenshots!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g