Skip to main content

We Won

After watching them lose 2 world test championship finals in 2 years... 

Source: NDTV Sports

Source: India Today

After watching them in pristine form, march undefeated into the final of a 50-over world cup, only to lose it...  

Source: Al Jazeera

After watching them remain unbeaten once again, going into the 20-over world cup final... 

Source: USA Today

After watching them being reduced to 34-3... 

Source: News9

After watching them put up a competitive total of 176-7 despite the setbacks... 

Source: Al Jazeera

After watching them get pummeled for 14 runs in one over, and 24 in the next...  

Source: News Bytes

After watching them having just 30 runs to defend off 30 balls...

In a 20-over game...

With 2 of the most explosive batters in world cricket at the crease...  

Source: Cricket World

After all this...



I watched them dismiss one of the batters, and I thought, “No, please don’t give me hope...”

I watched more and more dot balls being bowled.

I watched the required run rate climb up, until they had 16 runs to defend in 6 balls.

I watched the first ball being a full toss.
I watched the batter hitting it in the air.
I watched the ball sailing towards the boundary.
I watched the fielder catch it too close to the boundary, losing his balance, tossing the ball up, going out of the field, coming back in, completing the catch.  

Source: Hindustan Times

I watched them checking the catch through slow motion replays.

I watched every frame of the replay, for any indication of it not being a catch but a six.
There was none. The catch was valid. The batter was out. My hopes were still intact.

I watched the rest of the over, crying hysterically and muttering just one word, “Please...please...”

I watched an outside edge go for a boundary; I watched a wide ball being bowled.
With the batters needing 9 runs to win off one ball, I watched the last ball being hit along the ground.
I watched the umpire; I listened to the commentary; I scoured all my senses to confirm that it was not a no-ball. That it was over.

And it was.

We had won the world cup.

We had finally won an ICC tournament after 11 years, a world cup after 13 years, and a T20 world cup after 17 years. And we had done it in style, remaining undefeated, unconquerable, unvanquished throughout the tournament. The only team to do so in a T20 world cup.

Source: The Guardian

After watching my country’s team crying in disappointment after so many finals, this time I watched them shed tears of joy. And I cried with them. I was alone in my room, but I knew millions of my countrymen were crying with me, too.

Source: Times Now

During every game, I would try to distance myself from the emotions. I told myself that the result had absolutely no impact on my life. There was no reason to worry about the game. My life would be completely the same whether my country won or not. After so much convincing, building so many stone walls and fortresses of stoicism and indifference around my fragile heart, I discovered that this victory had swept all the walls away like an inexorable thunderstorm.

I cried and cried. I didn’t care if my life stayed the same. I didn’t care if the things I was stressed about before the game were still very much present in my life. I couldn’t care less. All I cared about was the realization that beneath the tough exterior, my heart was, and will always be, inextricably linked to the game, and to the team.



After all the disappointments...

...I watched my country finally lift the trophy on June 29, 2024.

Source: The Peninsula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

So this is what being down feels like.

So this is what being down feels like. Writing something and just to save yourself from having to think much about the title, putting the first line up as the title to the whole piece. Sitting on your bed with lots of things to do but no desire to do them. What once seemed pretty interesting and a productive way of spending time has lost its spark now. Things that could keep you going for hours on end now ignite a flicker of interest inside you that dies within a moment and you go back to sitting in bed and wondering if you should do anything or just lie down. Deciding every day to write something and even getting ideas, but failing to put them into words just because you lose interest by the time you switch your computer on. Even if you do switch it on and open Microsoft word and write a line that occurred to you while you were riding down the road, you cannot carry on further because the part of your mind that supplies ideas has run out of stock. Apparently, it works on

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve