Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Devil May Cry 3 and 4 Special Editions [PC Versions]

 My first intention was to play DMC 5 (because I’m a sucker for newer games with good graphics), but my conscience didn’t let me miss out on the history, and I felt obligated to try at least DMC 3 and 4. From what I’ve heard, the 2nd installment isn’t regarded well so I didn’t feel guilty about giving it a pass. Also, as I discovered later, there are no recurring characters in DMC 4 from the 2nd game. The first DMC, however, was a groundbreaker, and still holds a good reputation among the fans of the series. I didn’t play it though because, again, I’m a sucker for newer games with good graphics (yeah yeah, sue me, whatever) and I didn’t think I could handle so much DMC. That last bit turned out to be true, since I feel a dire need to take a break from the series, having completed the 4th game just last night at 2 AM.

I did commit a small gamer’s sin and watched all cutscenes of DMC 1 and 2 after I completed the third one, just to catch up on the story. To be frank I was already feeling quite exhausted of dealing with so many bosses when I finished the third part, but the excitement of trying out a new game with better graphics got the better of me and I ended up playing the two games back-to-back.


My first thought when playing DMC 3 was – Why do all these Capcom games have to be so dark and eery? The atmosphere in this game brought back memories of Resident Evil 4. Man, no game has ever got on my nerves as much as Resident Evil 4 did, and DMC 3 came really close. Dante’s over-the-top heroics and sassy dialogue helped cut some of the tension down, though, and perhaps that is why he is now one of my favourite video game characters. The heavy metal music playing in the background while he took on hordes of demons also helped ease up the atmosphere. Still, I had to take small breaks in between and play GTA V, just to see some sun and a brightly lit, colourful world.

I won’t reveal much of the story here, just a brief introduction about Dante, the series’ main protagonist. He’s a demon hunter, and part demon himself. Born as a twin from a union between a demon and a human, his father is none other than the legendary demon Sparda, who sealed the gate between the human world and the demon world long ago. The inspiration behind the first 4 games in the series is that this gate is somehow opened and demons begin overpowering the human world, and it falls on Dante to ward off these demons and re-seal the gate.

Both DMC 3 and 4 follow the same pattern. The games are divided into missions, and each mission follows a blueprint – you enter an area, its entry and exit points are blocked until you defeat all the enemies spawned within the area or solve a puzzle, then you enter another area. This goes on until you reach the last area where there’s a boss waiting for you. Defeat them and the mission is over. This scheme does sound repetitive, but it is kept from getting monotonous by different types of demon enemies and well-designed levels that sprinkle in a new flavour with every mission. Throughout the third game, Dante keeps acquiring new weapons and unlockable special moves which bring variety to his fighting style and keeps the game from becoming a dull hack-and-slash affair where the player is mindlessly bashing the same key over and over. No, you can try out new combinations of moves which contribute to your style points. This becomes especially necessary in DMC 4 as style points gain you Proud Souls, which can be used to buy new and more potent moves.


One thing I had major issues with in both the games is the camera. There are areas where camera movement is blocked entirely, and the angle changes when you move further, much like the early Resident Evil games. Even in places where camera movement is allowed, it isn’t fast enough. This is extremely bothersome in boss fights where you need to have the enemy in your sights at all times. DMC 3 corrects this to some extent by auto-centering the camera on the enemy, but for some reason, DMC 4 doesn’t carry this feature forward very efffectively. Considering how quick some of the bosses are, having the camera centered on them can mean the difference between life and death. There were occasions when the enemy was completely off-camera, and I missed its attack and lost half my health because I literally didn’t see it coming.

That aside, the boss battles and even the smaller enemies, for that matter, are designed well in terms of their weaknesses, especially in DMC 3. Every now and then an enemy pops up that doesn’t die no matter how many times you slash it. Then you realize maybe slashing is not the right thing to do here, and it makes you rethink your strategy. Different ways to kill different enemies, and the same goes for bosses too. You need to observe their attack patterns and strike while they’re vulnerable. It’s all a matter of finding their Achille’s Heel and attacking at the right time. Bosses also change their attacks midway through the battle, so you’re constantly kept on your toes. Patience, perseverance, grit, observation, reflexes – you name it; every DMC boss demands more from you.

It would have been fun if I had to battle each boss only once. I could even bear battling one boss twice. But as the games near completion, they force you to go through these same bosses again. Not only does this smell of a lack of imagination, but it also feels like a forced attempt to beef up the last few levels of the game. There’s a mission in DMC 3 in which you have to battle at least 5 bosses again in order to proceed. It’s like a recap of sorts, except that you aren’t really interested in a recap at that point and just want to fight the final boss. This is even more frustrating in DMC 4 because you fight each boss thrice in that game. They were able to squeeze so much repetitiveness in since DMC 4’s main story has two playable characters – Nero and Dante. You fight all the bosses as Nero first, then you have to backtrack through all the levels as Dante and go through all the boss battles again, in the exact same places as Nero fought them. Then there’s the so-called recap level which makes you fight all the bosses again. So it becomes quite frustrating in DMC 4 towards the end. The only saving grace in this game is the different fighting styles and mechanics of Nero and Dante, so regardless of fighting the same boss again, there’s still some freshness since you are fighting them in a different way.

It’s not over until it’s over – this adage fits perfectly for both DMC 3 and 4. [Mild spoilers ahead] In its last few missions, the game tricked me multiple times into thinking that it was about to end. What else would you think after defeating the main antagonist in an intense battle which is by far the hardest of the game? I conveniently assumed the same in DMC 3 and used all my special items to deal extra damage to the enemy. But as it turned out, it wasn’t the last battle and I still had one more boss to contend with. I was left with almost nothing in my inventory, one last battle (hopefully), and a boss that could make short work of me in a matter of seconds. At this time I was reminded of Sekiro and that battle with [Spoilers for Sekiro ahead] the Guardian Ape. If I hadn’t modded the game and had sincerely defeated the Ape in the first round, I don’t think I would have had it in me to go for it again after he’s resurrected. Sekiro was so frustrating and unforgiving with its boss battles. This post is not about Sekiro, though - I have ranted about it here instead, go read. [Spoilers end]

So yeah, DMC 3 - one last battle and a merciless enemy. I worked at it for an hour every day for 3-4 days, then I gave up and repeatedly tried to convince myself that it’s the last battle and I’ve reached the last level so in a sense I’ve completed the game but…I couldn’t. So I picked it up again and on one fateful afternoon, I finally managed to win. To this day I don’t know how I did it. If someone were to ask me for help defeating that boss I would not be able to do it again. I seriously don’t know how it happened, everything just went right. Maybe it was the universe making me press the right button at precisely the right time, maybe I was possessed by some pro gamer’s spirit or something, I don’t know man. It still doesn’t feel like something I did on my own without any mods or cheats, but it feels immensely satisfying.


The same thing happens at the end of DMC 4 as well. You defeat someone thinking it’s the last boss, but – plot twist – it’s not, and now you have to deal with someone more powerful. This happens so many times at the end that even the game is forced to acknowledge it - at one point, Dante says something like, “This guy (the antagonist) just doesn’t let go”, and I went, “Yeah, neither does this game.”

One thing that deserves mention here is the design of the gigantic Saviour boss at the end of DMC 4. It’s beautiful, if something like that can be said about a villain. It’s grand, to begin with, larger than life. Quite literally, too, and the way it floats and towers over the city stands out from the rest of the game mainly because the atmosphere is not as dark as the rest of the game. The overall color scheme of this colossal being is also starkly different from all the other enemies I have encountered in the DMC games. It looks majestic, and battling it gives off God-of-War-2-esque vibes.

DMC 4 - Saviour
Image taken from https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/giant-beebo-cw-vs-the-savior-dmc4-2016901/?page=1

As much as I want to play DMC 5 now (because, for the umpteenth time, I am a sucker for newer games with good graphics), I also don’t want it to burn me out on the DMC universe. Already exhausted from battling so many bosses, I think I will play a more casual and brighter game before jumping back onto the DMC bandwagon and finishing off the journey. I guess it will help DMC 5 bring a fresh perspective as far as demon-slaying and boss-battling goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g