Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Sekiro – Shadows Die Twice [PC Version]

 The game that has an entire Reddit thread about how difficult it is

 [Originally written on 9th Feb 2020] *Contains mild spoilers*



O-kay! I finally completed this game, by hook or by crook. That sentence will become clearer later.

This was my first game from From Software, and after this I’m not playing any other game from this studio. Though Sekiro might be their worst game ever, and the other games such as Dark Souls and Bloodborne may be better, I’m not taking any chances. This game was a looooong journey of frustration and moments of rage and I’m not ready to go through it again.

The game begins all right. Way better than all right, in fact. From the opening cutscene it becomes crystal clear that the game will contain beautiful graphics. I was enamoured by the graphics, seriously. The opening level takes place on a full moon night and the lighting was breathtaking. So the beginning leaves a great impression on the player, and first impression is the last impression, as they say.

Well, Sekiro botches up that saying in a truly grandiose manner. The first few levels are good, I went through them seriously, religiously, taking in every aspect of the game and learning it thoroughly. Though I’m not an RPG fan, I still meticulously followed all the details of different attacks, items, combat techniques and the works because I wanted to really play this game rather than just skim through it. That was primarily because of its setting – feudal Japan. I’ve always been fascinated by the Japanese culture and felt that this game would give me a peek inside.

Boy, was I wrong. More about this later.

So like I said, initially I caught whatever the game threw at me and inspected it meticulously. When I was defeated by the first boss, and then defeated again, and again, I even went to train to hone my skills. I aced the training, every move landed perfectly there, but when I returned to the boss I was defeated once again. Also, before reaching the boss I had died countless number of times and become familiar with the harsh penalties that Sekiro imposes whenever a player dies. It did feel too strict at that time, but I dismissed it. Every game is unique and has its own mechanisms. This was just Sekiro’s way of reminding me to be more careful, but I didn’t know it wanted me to be perfect, not even near-perfect.

I generally like to complete any game without any external support. I refrain from watching walkthroughs or guides. It gives immense satisfaction to complete a game by yourself. But for Sekiro, I broke all the rules, just like it breaks all the rules of typical, hack-and-slash action adventure games.

My first moments of distress came when I met the Chained Ogre. Prior to this the game was shaping up to be a stealth adventure, but Chained Ogre changed it all.

This boss is of a huge build, and that naturally strikes anyone as a cause of reduced agility. But Chained Ogre does it all. He jump-kicks, pounces, grabs, throws…and with surprising speed. Sekiro, the protagonist, who is a Shinobi for god’s sake, wasn’t nimble enough to dodge these grabs. The foremost difficulty here is that the Ogre will follow you wherever you might be sprinting, even when he is in the air! His hands follow Sekiro like magnet. And this was just the beginning. Countless more bosses, more difficult than this, were to follow. I watched my first walkthrough video of Sekiro here.

I was somehow able to reach Lady Butterfly by my own and with some support from walkthrough videos, but she proved to be my undoing. Sometimes it didn’t take even 10 seconds for her to kill me, at which point I put the game on hold and decided to try out the Arkham series. Compared to Sekiro, those games are child’s play. I completed Arkham City and Arkham Origins on hard mode, and I didn’t get frustrated once. Okay, maybe once or twice, but strategizing for Arkham was still more enjoyable than Sekiro.

The problem with Sekiro is it needs you to be perfect. I can’t stress this enough. Before taking on a boss you have to clear the area of the remaining enemies or else, they’ll swarm you and you’ll be dead long before you reach the boss. Each enemy, even the less formidable-looking one, has the ability to finish you off in a matter of seconds if you’re not careful. You have to block at the right time, and attack at the right time. Oh, attacking. There’s a 0.5 millisecond window in which you can attack. If you miss it, you better flee to regain your composure because the next blow is sure to be the last one you’ll ever receive. If, somehow, you painstakingly clear the area, stealthily moving in the grass and killing off enemies one by one, hiding here and there to remain unspotted, planning out every move, you still have the boss to deal with.

Some bosses are easy; you have to drain their health bar only once. But there are those who require two, or even three drains to finally be killed. Again, if you miss dodging a blow, you’re done for. Keep poking at the boss in that tiny window you have, infinite number of times, and maybe you’ll have a chance.

Oh, and if you die, this happens:

-All the enemies that you killed with so much patience and strategy will be resurrected.

-All the money you’ve earned and the skill points you’ve gained, which you can use to upgrade your abilities, will be halved.

-Someone in the world will catch a deadly disease named Dragonrot, and this will be conveyed to you through something called Rot Essence. The more you die, the more people will catch Dragonrot, and the more vulnerable your vitality and posture will be. I think that’s what it does, I’d died so many times that I didn’t even bother to check how Dragonrot affects me, despite having been caught by someone else. Bye bye, logic.

I know, I know. Savepoints. The good old strategy of saving the game after clearing the enemies and before facing the boss. You can. In fact, the game auto saves when you quit, so when you start it again, you’ll still be at the same place, with all the enemies dead and the boss waiting for you. Except if you die (which is highly probable), you’ll be transported to the last Sculptor’s Idol (Sekiro’s equivalent of a savepoint) that you communed with (saved your game on) and the above three things will take place.

You do have some relief too, though. You have a healing gourd that replenishes half your health when you drink from it, there are medicinal pellets that gradually restore your health, and a bunch of other things. Some of these you can find lying around in the environment, but some, especially the healing gourd, can not be found anywhere.  It can be replenished, along with all the other supplies, by resting at a Sculptor’s Idol. Neat little trick, huh?

Nope.

When you rest, all the enemies you cleared out will be resurrected.

Yep, you read that right. Apparently the “Shinobi code” of From Software seems to be that players should go through all the suffering again in exchange of the relief they’re getting, which seems awfully small in front of the ordeal of going through all the enemies again. This strategy of resting at an idol still works in situations where you know you won’t be returning to that environment again, so you won’t have to face those enemies again.

Unfortunately, combat isn’t the only problem in Sekiro. The levels have been designed rather poorly. The visuals are appealing, no doubt, but the design…you can roam around a landscape for hours and you’ll keep hitting dead ends. There are so many paths branching out that it becomes hard to discern which one to take. It becomes difficult to keep track of progress, and after some time you kind of forget why you came here and where to go.

Not surprisingly, the game doesn’t offer any help. As far as maps go, there’s only a painting depicting the isometric view of the entire land. And it’s nothing more than a scenery, with snow-covered mountains and grasslands and a castle.  There are no paths, no guidelines, nothing of assistance. There’s no objective window. Throughout the game I kept on wondering why Sekiro was here in the first place. What is his aim, what’s he trying to achieve?

You can get some idea by talking to people that you encounter on the way, but there are no logs recorded anywhere, so you have to remember all your conversations and where they took place. This is so because every now and then some NPC makes a demand of you and hours later when you finally acquire the item that he wanted; you forget where you met him.

The next problem is that there are too many things to remember.  Now I’m sure those fond of RPGs wouldn’t have faced this problem, but I sure did. Too many skills, techniques, items in the inventory…I found it overbearing and burdensome to remember which item does what, and hence didn’t even use 70% of my inventory.

To make matters worse, the gameplay is not at all straightforward. Sekiro can travel back and forth between Idols, and thus can jump to any location at will. This makes it harder to keep track of things as it often happens that an item that you need at a certain location will be found at some other location. And you can’t just trace your steps back, because there’s no way to.  You’ll have to make the jump. This might sound convenient, but the threads that link entities on a board can often become tangled. That’s exactly what happens here.

Moreover, when you get stuck on a level, it might be because you don’t possess the item/s required to proceed. The game does nothing to suggest this. And this happens just because of this ability to jump between the idols. In my case there was this one level where Sekiro was supposed to pray, but the pray option didn’t show up. I kept on roaming around in that cave but couldn’t find anything. Later on, I got to know from a walkthrough that I had to travel to the top of a castle in another part of the land and acquire a couple more items before I could pray in the cave.

Coming back to the combat mechanism. It frustrated me so much that I ended up modding the game. Prior to this I had only cheated in GTA games (no excuses for that), but modding in this game was more out of necessity than having fun. At first it was a simple mod to reduce damage by 50%, so I could withstand enemies more easily. This was when I met Lady Butterfly. I defeated her and was cruising along until I met some more bosses. Then I had to install a new mod that reduced damage by 75%, but I still could not defeat those bosses. Call it my poor gaming skills, or whatever, but this harder-than-hell combat was sucking all the enjoyment out of the game.

I really wanted to finish Sekiro, partly to uncover the story and partly to enjoy its scenic beauty. The story turned out to be crap, which we’ll disCUSS later. After reaching the peak of my frustration and seriously contemplating uninstalling the game midway (which I’ve done only for GRID 2 so far), I decided that Sekiro didn’t deserve the fair treatment I was bestowing upon it. 

I tweaked the mod. Now it reduced all kinds of physical damage to 90% (which was 100% at first, but then everything seemed too easy.), while damage from abnormalities (burning, being terrorized, poisoned or enfeebled) remained the same.

From then on, it was a cruise, and I didn’t even feel any sense of guilt whatsoever! Sekiro had sucked every last bit of honesty inside me.  I would have uninstalled the game instead of cheating it to such an extent had it not been for its graphics.

But before getting to its graphics I want to talk about the story.  It seems simple enough at the beginning, but gets more and more complex.  Random characters appear out of nowhere. Remember how I said I felt this game could provide a window inside Japanese culture?

Well, the Japan portrayed in Sekiro is highly fantastical. It has fighting monkeys, giant serpents and fish and apes, ogres, abominable sumo-like dwellers and whatnot. And they just appear out of nowhere, without any explanation of their origins or purpose. It’s a land where you have a drunkard protecting the entrance to somewhere, spouts poison out of his mouth, and requires two people to be killed. Two well-trained warriors, one of them a ninja, to kill a glutton drunkard. Seriously?

It has a young lord of the country whose lineage makes him immortal, but upon watching the destruction that the greed for his blood has caused, he decides to get himself killed to end his lineage. And he uses Sekiro for this. This skeleton of the story has been embellished with unnecessary elements of fantasy and mystic lore, much of which feels irrelevant and forced upon, just to beef the game up. It’s very easy to lose track of the main story, fighting all the bosses and traversing the vast land.

The only good thing about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and perhaps the best, is its graphics and visuals. Brilliantly designed, and aesthetically pleasing, this was the only thing that kept me going, and in a way made me cheat. I have no regrets about that. On many occasions I stopped at the edge of a cliff or on the roof of a pagoda to admire the scenic beauty around me. Even took screenshots. The graphics are so good and the landscapes are so beautiful that I can’t appreciate it enough.  Even now the memory of roaming around in the game feels real and fresh in my mind.

Sekiro is made for faithful gamers, who are ready to invest their time and patience into it. It’s made for those who can devote themselves to it. In many ways it’s akin to, and as difficult as shinobi training where you practice, practice and practice, perfecting every move so much that it becomes second nature. If this game is completed righteously, it will bring immense satisfaction to the player.

I’m not that kind of a gamer. I play for fun, for enjoyment. It is my mistake that I expected Sekiro to be such a game. It contains everything that I desired of a game – good visuals, Japan, choices, multiple endings, softcore RPG elements – and I would have gladly completed multiple playthroughs of it to reveal all the alternate endings that I missed, but sadly the combat ruined it all for me. Lacking the option to decrease the difficulty, but having plenty of options to increase it, it just isn’t playable for me anymore. I don’t even feel the desire to download save games and continue from there to reveal all the other endings (which I did in fact do when I reached the Shura ending which is the worst ending).

It could have been a much better product and the best game in many gamers’ opinion, but it has been made as difficult as it could be, which ruins its experience. I’ll even go so far as to say that the whole Sekiro team was a bunch of sadists. How it won the Game of the Year award is beyond me. I really pity its testing team.

This is one game I’ll be glad to bid adieu to, though I’ll miss traveling its landscapes.

Sayonara, Sekiro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g