Skip to main content

My thoughts on What Remains of Edith Finch [PC Version]

[Originally written on 12 Apr 2020]

 I just finished playing this game and…I don’t know, it’s very, very different from all the games I’ve played in my life so far.

It’s a peaceful game, to use a crude term. It’s a huge departure from all the action- packed, adrenaline fuelling games that I’ve recently played. And it really reminds me of the Dream Chronicles series. The music, the environments, the voice overs, everything…even the way the story is narrated.

There’s not much to do in the game. It’s not like those strategy games where you have to think about your next moves, or like an action – adventure game where you have to punch your way out of a sticky situation, or even like a puzzle game where there  are neither enemies nor friends but just mind – numbing puzzles. There’s nothing of that sort in Edith Finch and yet it feels enjoyable.

It’s what you might call a “Walking Simulator”, where you just walk, explore your surroundings and interact with the objects around you. Sounds pretty boring, but Edith Finch is far from boring. Even though the story it tells holds very little intrigue, and absolutely no elements of suspense and mystery, it engages the player through its environments, and the way the narrative is unfolded. You really feel as if you’ve literally stepped into the shoes of the narrator, and how you control the game reflects the story that is being narrated.

It’s really difficult to describe what I feel without giving away spoilers, but the game is immersive in the truest sense of the word. You live the game. You really live the game. And it really helps that the game is played in the first person, otherwise it wouldn’t have been as effective.

Edith Finch is a prime example, a paragon of how to tell a story through a game. You would expect such a game as this, whose sole purpose is to narrate a story, to have a good story. Surprisingly, the strongest suit of Edith Finch is not its story but its design. The environments feel realistic, and significantly contribute to the whole mood of the game. The slow, gentle music, too, plays its part. Crystal clear voice overs bring familiarity to the characters. Smooth gameplay ensures a well – connected chain of events without any glitches. And I’m aware this sounds more like a newspaper advertisement of the game but this is how it really is, and these little elements of the game are worth mentioning, because they combine to make a short, simple and sweet game.

You might be left with a lot of questions after completing the game, but, like the stories that comprise it, Edith Finch wants you to be imaginative and build your own world on top of its stories. It has taken a lot of creative liberties, and the creativity is what makes it so enjoyable.

It’s a worthwhile experience, stepping in the shoes of Edith Finch as she revisits her ancestral house to find out about her family’s history. As she discovers tidbits of information about each of her family members, the player feels more and more drawn and connected to the Finch family. The house itself is so big that it feels like a castle, and so richly designed that it may, actually, be called a modern castle of sorts. The secret passageways are very skilfully placed, and this is where the simplicity of the game builds a headache free experience as the player does not have to roam around, searching for the next secret doorknob or key or an entrance-disguised-as-a-bookcase; the game guides the player really well towards the next section of the house.

Its visuals are truly beautiful. Each element of this game fits together like piece of a puzzle. Please do give it a try. It’s a short game, but its effects are truly lasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g