Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Assassin's Creed 1 [PC Version]

[Originally written on 2nd Oct 2019]

 Having just walked and fought in the land of knights, templars, kings, assassins, crusaders, thieves, thugs, and horses, my own reality doesn’t feel so real anymore.




That is how rich the environment of Assassin’s Creed is. It feels so very real, even though it’s set thousands of years ago. The visuals are appealing, and much attention has been paid to every detail. Each small element is in its rightful place, so when the protagonist, Altair, climbs walls, he holds on to stuff that is actually there, instead of clinging to an invisible crack in the wall, thus making his climb more believable.

Another thing is the ambiance. It felt like I was really walking in an actual city. The citizens had so much variety and they behaved in such a manner that I couldn’t help reacting the same way as I would when encountering them in real life. The beggars, for instance, keep following you, running after you, and that actually frustrated me. Then there are the drunkards/madmen who pushed Altair for no reason at all, which infuriated me. I didn’t really get a chance to notice it properly but the cities were always bustling with activity. The markets had merchants advertising their goods, people walking with heavy pots and boxes on their shoulders, soldiers guarding. These things make AC one of those games wherein you actually have to take careful heed of your surroundings before taking the next step.

Topping all of this were the sounds. The dialogues, accents, even the ambient noises were very well recorded and incorporated, particularly those of Altair’s clothes and weapons when he’s walking or running.

Gameplay was smooth, though it could be improved with regards to Altair’s mechanics. It was really annoying to see him jump somewhere other than intended and, in the process, get caught in a chase. AI soldiers’ field of view was also unpredictable at times. Sometimes they just eyed me with caution while other times they turned hostile soon as they spotted me. In any case, the rooftop chases were really memorable.

As far as the story is concerned, I’m still to make complete sense of it. I couldn’t grasp what was going on at first but then it started making some sense. Many questions are still left unanswered when the game ends, and for a long time after the credits I was not sure if they wanted me to discover something else or the game had ended. I had to do a Google search to confirm.

Talking about the ending, this is the first game I’ve seen that ends with a cliff-hanger. It actually leaves plenty of space for sequels. I haven’t seen this level of confidence in any other game. The way AC is developed though, I wouldn’t blame them for having so much faith in it. It introduced a totally novel and interesting concept for a game and the way they combined it with game-playing elements is mind-blowing.

Special mention for level designers. The cities in this game are exquisite to look at. I couldn’t keep myself from capturing my screen on a couple occasions because the view from a high tower was too beautiful. Alleyways and paths are very well planned, almost with the same care as an actual architect planning a city and its buildings. At some places it feels too crowded, but what’s a city without its crowd?


Overall, the game was a brilliantly made one with the usual room for improvement here and there. The concept was really, really interesting. I had read an AC comic before and I already knew that this wasn’t your typical history action-drama, but something much more fascinating. I’ll eagerly play the sequel after a few other games just to mix it up a bit. The storyline and the experience will no doubt stay with me for a long time. The alert sound for when a soldier is eyeing you suspiciously still rings in my ears sometimes, and the chase music turns on every now and then.

Rich graphics, intriguing story, and an ending that leaves many questions behind – Assassin’s Creed is a treat for intelligent, strategic players who are turned off by taking care of too many character attributes. This game offers the same amount of planning and strategic analysis as a modern-day RPG and at the same time rids players of the burden of shaping their character. Of course, hardcore RPG lovers will enjoy AC just as much, for a successful stealth assassination gives immense satisfaction, and it can only be carried out through meticulous planning and conscientious execution.

Bear the three tenets of the Creed (of which I forget the second one). Safety and Peace be upon you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g