Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Thief (2014 game) [PC Version]

 [Originally written on 16th May 2020]

I was introduced to the Thief game series when I played Thief: Deadly Shadows. Having abandoned it the first time because I just couldn’t get the hang of lockpicking, I gave it another try when I got older and more understanding of the game mechanics. This time I succeeded at lockpicking and was totally immersed in the fictional city of the game. I loved how the game provided actual feel of hiding in the shadows, sneaking literally behind the back of the sentry guards and stealing loot, while a story mixed with fantasy and folklore elements unfolded.

Unfortunately, the game started lagging as the story progressed, and at one point it became unplayable. I abandoned it, but ever since I got to know that the series was getting a reboot for the newer generation platforms, I had my eyes on it.

Now that I’ve finished it, I can say the new game improves upon the older ones as far as the overall experience of thieving is concerned, but the story could have been penned in a better way.

Let’s start by looking into the better aspects of the game.

The graphics are, no doubt, a major improvement. The textures and lighting are really impressive; the city comes alive. Though the majority of the game takes place at night, when the city is quiet, it still feels like its gears are slowly rattling in motion. This feeling of ‘being silent, but at work’, as is fairly appropriate in a game such as this, is further cemented by the hushed conversations that one overhears while traversing the city and carving out a path through its narrow by lanes, vents and sewers. This improvement in the look and feel of the game was a really big plus for me as the level design is what got me hooked to this game, followed closely by Garrett’s tools and sneakiness. Now that the graphics have improved, one can enjoy his tools better, watching equipment such as the Wrench (which looks nothing like we use now), the Wirecutter and the Knife at work as Garrett unscrews vent entrances, disables traps and cuts valuable paintings out of their frames, respectively.

As with all its previous games, the player can get a good idea of what is not actually being shown in the game, the backstory, so to speak, from all the documents that Garrett finds lying around. If only everyone had the patience to go through these bits of paper…

Despite such meticulous writing, Thief still fails to serve an effective storyline to its players. As many online forums about the game point out, the final product feels like an amalgamation of multiple storylines that were all planned for production at some point but were eventually merged into one in order to keep everyone at Eidos Interactive happy. Not to mention, the ending definitely felt like a cliff-hanger to me. Then again, that scene might have contained subtle hints as to what really happened, and I might have missed them. There was this one explanation of it I read in one of the forums that really made sense, so I think the final scene might not be that bad. The rest of the story, though, could have been better. It felt crammed in, just like those cramped spaces filled with furniture that Garrett always manages to slip through to reach inaccessible places.

Special mention for the chapter The Forsaken, that takes place in Moira Asylum. This is an abandoned asylum on an island some distance away from the city, and is devoid of any guards. After evading so many guards in The City, this at first felt like a wave of relief. But as I got further, the lonely, secluded environment of the asylum really started getting on my nerves. It just felt so empty, and when the dark setting started suggesting that the place was haunted, I just wanted it to end. There’s a hallway in the Men’s ward of the asylum where you can hear heavy footsteps banging on the floor, taking rounds of the wing, but cannot see anything. From a notice on the wall that seems to appear out of nowhere, you come to know that it’s the night warden. A wheelchair starts moving towards you by itself. Mere description of these phenomena may not be enough to scare people, but when you pair these occurrences with the atmosphere in the asylum that the designers have created, it makes for a spookier gameplay experience that many movies will fail to deliver.

Overall I think Thief is perfect for players looking to steal things, swoop undetectably in the shadows and learn secrets about the city around them while remaining a ghost, it will disappoint those who are looking for a good story woven around thieving. No doubt, it is the brainchild of very creative and imaginative individuals, but there’s a fine line between imagination and coherence. Thief’s storyline is abundant with imaginative elements, but lacks coherence. Some blunt edges sharpened out could have made it a masterpiece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g