Skip to main content

My Thoughts on the PC games Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 (a comparison)

 [Originally written on 22nd Sep 2019]

I just finished playing HP Deathly Hallows Part 2, having completed the part 1 yesterday.

 When I started Part 1, I was straightaway disappointed because the game threw a few missions at me that felt less related to the story and more like they were included just to make it lengthier. Then there was repetition – a fair amount of it. For instance, Harry had to rescue a bunch of muggle-borns from the snatchers. This involved fighting the enemy and liberating the muggle-borns from the evil enchantments. The same theme is repeated in various locations, giving the developers some sort of reprieve whilst increasing the game length. They succeeded, although sacrificing the game’s excitement.

It started off quite well, though, with Bill and Fleur’s wedding, Shaftesbury Avenue and then to Grimmauld Place. Up until then it was fairly enjoyable, but as I progressed, I began facing issues. To begin with there were these side missions to be completed in order to progress onwards with the story. Totally unrelated to the plot, they sucked all my interest out of the game. I mean, at one stage you’re planning to find RAB’s locket and the next you’re in some sort of abandoned settlement, fighting death eaters and snatchers and freeing muggle-borns. Talk about continuity.

When I dived into this stage (reluctantly, and for the only incentive of unlocking the next story mission), I tackled it with an aggressive approach, fighting and killing every single enemy I met on the way. Only later into the game, and in a similar level with only the location changed from the abandoned settlement to the Ministry of Magic, did I realize that my approach should be more towards the stealthy side. It was then that I put on the invisibility cloak and glided past the sentries to liberate the unfortunate wizards. Even this I did because of the sheer number of enemies and I was playing at Medium difficulty (I had already changed the difficulty level from Hard to Medium and restarted the game all over again because my aggressive approach wasn’t yielding results).

Going further, Harry unlocks new spells, and this introduced another frustrating gameplay element – cycling through the spells until I got the desired one. As if this wasn’t enough, this mechanism was programmed to be unidirectionally cyclable. In simpler terms, if I were looking for Expelliarmus and, through an unfortunate, extra press of button, landed on Stupefy, I’d have to cycle all the way through the wheel once again, carefully this time, to land on Expelliarmus. Fancy having an enemy waiting that long!

There’s one level in particular which was especially exhausting. The trio discovers that Dean Thomas is wandering in the forest with Griphook, the goblin from Gringotts, and decides to follow them. There are cutscenes as the trio catches up to Dean, and the player drags on with the game, in hopes of catching Dean and Griphook, expecting some sort of reunion. Guess what, it never happens. The sole purpose of this level is to create an event that would let the trio know about certain information regarding the sword of Gryffindor. This the trio achieves through eavesdropping as if Dean weren’t actually Dean but Draco in disguise.

Once I discovered the approach of using the Invisibility Cloak, though, it was a smooth sailing for me. However, the repetitive missions continued to frustrate me, such as freeing the muggle-borns yet again, this time in Godric’s Hollow.

The only positive aspect about the game is its graphics. Quite appealing, the abandoned settlement, Ministry of Magic, Godric’s Hollow and all other locations are modeled and crafted very well. So something paid off, at least. EA concentrated its resources on location modeling instead of level building.

 

After somehow finishing Part 1 I moved on to Part 2, and the first thing I noticed was – no invisibility cloak! I had already made plans to abandon it if this game were to turn out like its predecessor, but fortunately it didn’t. The spell casting system was a lot better in this one. There was no cycling mechanism, and the spells were mapped to the buttons A,B,X,Y, so I could choose my specific spell just at the press of a button instead of cycling through them. This enabled prompt spell switching, which can mean the difference between life and death.

Another improvement was there were no side missions, and even the ones that were included as fillers felt relevant, like the one where Seamus Finnigan plants “magical charges” underneath the bridge leading to Hogwarts in order to prevent Voldemort’s army from entering the school.

All in all, Part 2 was a lot more interesting than Part 1. But I also feel that I can’t blame EA for part 1 though; there wasn’t much scope for a game in that movie. After all, there was far more action and excitement in part 2, but part 1 could have been better and less boring.

Part 2 also rewarded me with an end credit recap of all the EA+Harry Potter games made so far, which brought back memories, so plus points for including that.

With this, I have officially played all entries in the Harry Potter PC game series (except the Lego ones and Sorcerer’s stone). Played, not completed.  I left Goblet of Fire midway because (surprise) it was getting repetitive, and the gameplay was not to my liking. Sorcerer’s Stone I didn’t play because, well, I had already played Chamber of Secrets and knew the gameplay and graphics were similar, and weren’t that impressive for me to give it a go.

Out of all the 8 entries I’ve played:

·       Chamber of Secrets

·       Quidditch World Cup

·       Prisoner of Azkaban

·       Goblet of Fire

·       Order of the Phoenix

·       Half-Blood Prince

·       Deathly Hallows part 1

·       Deathly Hallows part 2

 

I liked Half-Blood prince the best, though there’s tough competition between it and Order of the Phoenix. This is because Hogwarts was modeled pretty well in both of these games. The Potterhead in me finally got the satisfaction of roaming around in Hogwarts and accessing all areas, which hadn’t been done in previous games. Hogwarts was introduced as a free-roam environment and that gave me the feeling of actually being in Hogwarts. I could go to the library, the Owlery, the Gryffindor Common Room, Myrtle’s Bathroom, even the Prefects’ bathroom; as and when I wished. On top of this, Half-Blood Prince introduced things like Quidditch and potion making which was like the cherry on the top. At the same time, it shut off some places in Hogwarts, which is why it’s closely followed by Order of the Phoenix. The perfect Harry Potter game would be the Hogwarts of OOTP + the activities of HBP. Oh, and those unlockable interviews in OOTP were a treat to watch too! I might give OOTP another play sometime just to roam around Hogwarts again.

 

This concludes it, I suppose. Thanks to EA and Bright Light for developing this awesome series with its highs and lows. I really enjoyed going through it.  Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume. So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling. I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g